Robertson Stephens Wealth Management (RSWM) is a national wealth management firm with offices in San Francisco, New York, Sun Valley, Holmdel, Marin County, Austin, Denver/Vail, and Houston. The firm serves the financial planning and investment strategy needs of high-net-worth individuals and family offices. Employees of the firm share a solid work ethic, a drive to innovate within our industry and above all strive for value-creation on behalf of our clients.
Opportunity to become a member of the Business Development Group (BDG) working side-by-side with the principals of a leading independent registered investment advisor. RSWM is positioned to grow assets under management (AUM) from both organic (clients directly) and inorganic (advisor acquisitions) new business activity. Both activities are resident within the BDG, however, the emphasis on inorganic growth and advisor recruitment and acquisition is predominant. The position reports to the Chief Business Development Officer, with much exposure to the Chief Executive Officer and other management team members, but our flat organizational structure requires individual responsibility. This is an entrepreneurial role, requiring a self-starter who can not only source and generate leads, but build relationships, communicate the Firm’s story and value propositions, overcome objections, structure economic offers, and communicate clearly.
Responsibilities include contributing to the Firm’s direct-to-market inorganic growth initiatives, by originating and managing a pipeline of prospective wealth managers. The position’s focus will include acquisitions from two categories of the wealth management market: (i) Financial Advisors employed by global banks (FA’s) and (ii) Independent Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs). In addition, creation of presentation materials, financial modeling, development of marketing programs, and indirect channel marketing support will be required to be successful.
- Prospecting & Pipeline Management: Performing primary research (network connectivity, firm websites, RIADatabase, Discovery Data, sec.gov, LinkedIn, conference attendees, etc.) to organize and source leads for the BDG team. Contributing to the RIA and FA channel systematic cold outreach efforts by qualifying leads and mentoring junior team members. Converting leads to opportunities, developing prospective advisor relationships, and explaining the Firm’s story and value proposition.
- Financial Modeling: Build and maintain recruitment / M&A model incorporating financial data received from prospective FAs and RIAs and ensure it meets the acquisition metrics of the firm. Perform due diligence, research, and analysis on prospects. Present to the Firm’s new business commitment committee (opportunity profile, unit economics analysis, term sheet / letter of intent, etc.). Perform ongoing competitive benchmarking and gather business intelligence around industry comparable data.
- Marketing Materials: Develop, coordinate, and implement online and offline marketing collateral and strategies.
- Creative Thinking: Organize and coordinate with team members around the wealth management industry new business trends, services, products, and marketing channels.
- Event Coordination: Develop and attend industry functions, events, and conferences aligned with our business development goals; provide written feedback and information on current trends to enhance our marketing creativity and impact.
- Team-oriented, high integrity, humility.
- Self-starter, with ability to follow direction and offer perspective on new initiatives.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and deadline focused environment.
- Detail focused with excellent organization skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong customer service and relationship building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel anywhere depending on opportunities.
- BA/BS degree with a record for strong academic performance.
- Minimum five years financial services industry experience (desirable).
- Experience with managing a sales pipeline in CRM software (desirable).
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience communicating with internal and external audiences.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Excel, PowerPoint).